Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) is one of the world’s busiest airports with more than 33 million passengers handled per year. It is the busiest airport in Texas for international passenger traffic and the number of international destinations, the second busiest airport in Texas overall, and the 12th busiest in the United States for total passenger traffic. Slip and fall accidents are common due to a large amount of traffic in IAH’s terminals.
No matter the cause of the accident, if the area in control of the airport does not offer minimum security conditions, the airport can be held responsible for damages that affect third parties. The definition of minimum-security conditions varies depending on the time, weather, and other factors.
However, special care must be taken with factors such as the condition of the building, repairs, and warning the public of possible dangers.
Air Accident Statistics
Each year, more than 2 billion passengers are carried on commercial flights. With billions of people traveling by air every year, accidents are bound to happen. A flight-related accident can be caused by almost anything, from carry-on luggage spilling out of an overhead bin to severe turbulence that sends passengers to the hospital for spinal cord trauma, concussions, or other injuries.
Injuries in Airports
Airports can pose risks to visitors and passengers in numerous places, including:
– Baggage claim areas
– On gangways, stairs, and ramps used during boarding and disembarkation
– In trams, passenger transport, escalators, and other transport systems in airports
– Airport construction and remodeling projects
– Courtesy vehicles used for passengers in pedestrian areas of terminals
– Wet areas in bathrooms
– Inadequately maintained terminal areas
– Asphalt-Related Obstacles
– Sidewalk accidents
Most airlines now charge passengers a fee to check their bags, so today we see more travelers than ever trying to fit carry-ons into small overhead bins. Falling baggage can be especially hazardous for those in the aisle seat, where concussions and lacerations from dropped baggage are more common.
Many airline and airport accidents involve everyday mishaps that result in common aircraft injuries, for example:
– Overhead compartment object falling on passengers
– Beverage carts injuring aisle seat passengers
– Hot liquids spilling on passengers
– Passengers who fall while walking to and from the restrooms
– Airline personnel failing to react appropriately during a passenger medical emergency
– Injuries that occur during boarding or disembarking from the aircraft
– A faulty bathroom door swings open, hitting a passenger in the head
– A faulty boarding ramp causes a passenger to slip and fall
– Falling Luggage Hurting Passengers
Other Common Causes include:
– Broken or uneven sidewalks, roads, or surfaces
– Slippery, polished, or wet surfaces
– Insufficient warnings of dangerous conditions
– Debris, garbage, and equipment blocking the passage
– Defective stairs or risers
– Lack of staff
– Inadequate lighting
– Snowy or icy surfaces, parking lots, or roads
Turbulence in Flights Injures Passengers
Although every year many people suffer injuries related to in-flight turbulence, it is important to note that airlines are usually not held at fault for unforeseen and unpredictable acts of nature. However, if the airline crew was made aware of the possibility of turbulence, then any injury victim could claim compensation if the passengers were not warned.
In short, if the pilot knew of potential turbulence and failed to warn passengers to fasten their seatbelts, the airline can be held legally liable if passengers are injured.
Here are some important statistics related to accidents caused by turbulence:
– According to estimates, 4,500 passengers and crew members worldwide are injured each year when objects fall from overhead baggage compartments. This adds up to 12 daily injuries.
– The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) estimates that each year, approximately 58 people are injured during a flight due to turbulence.
Other different factors that cause accidents include:
– Altimeter failure
– Failure of an engine
– Pilot error
– Air traffic controller error
– Airline failure to properly train staff
– Airline failure to enact policies to protect passengers
You have rights
Less than 2% of the people entitled to receive compensation or indemnity from the airlines file a claim. This is due to the obstacles that airlines put in the way; the “fixes” that are offered and, above all, the lack of information: there are legal guarantees that unequivocally protect airline passengers. Knowing them is essential.
If someone is hurt due to the negligence of a third party, the victim can recover compensation for their medical bills, as well as lost income. It is very important to contact an experienced attorney if you want to file a lawsuit against the party at fault.
With the assistance of our experienced personal injury and premises liability attorneys, you may be able to recover additional compensation for loss of enjoyment of life or pain and suffering.
Texas Injury Lawyers
Our Accident Lawyers at PMR Law know that injuries to airline passengers are far more common than most realize. If you were injured by the negligence or carelessness of a third party at an airport or during a flight, you may be able to seek monetary damages.
Our attorneys will handle every aspect of your case and will do everything possible to get you the maximum compensation. You only need to provide the necessary information and we will get to work on your case.
It is important to present your best case early on. Our attorneys will use their years of experience in injury cases to do this for you. Call today for a free case evaluation.
Contact a Local Lawyer
Get in touch with us so we can evaluate your case for free. Call PMR Law at 832-844-6428 and a member of our team will get in touch with you immediately.
PMR Law is considered one of the Best Law Firms in America, by Rue Ratings. Several of our attorneys have been given the honor of being named Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters. The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys has named our attorneys 10 Best in Client Satisfaction. Speaking of personal injury, Attorney and Practice Magazine awarded our attorneys with Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney distinctions. The National Trial Lawyers have named three of our attorneys as Top 100 attorneys. The Academy of Attorneys has named two of our attorneys as Top 40 Under 40. Our attorneys have been recognized as Best Attorneys of America, by Rue Ratings. PMR Law is a proud member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocate Forum. Houstonia Magazine has named two of our attorneys as Top Lawyers in Personal Injury. Texas Lawyer magazine has named PMR Law as the #1 Personal Injury Law Firm in Houston.